Pages

Saturday, May 30, 2009

In Search of Waterfalls

I went in search of waterfalls today. In celebration of ourselves, Tuesday was our two year anniversary, my wife and I decided to hike to a waterfall and have a picnic. My wife was responsible for the food and I was in charge of finding the waterfalls.We ended up exploring a place called Bushkill Falls in Pennsylvania. I was extremely impressed with their offering of waterfalls. After a brief hike down a small canyon wall on narrow wooden stairs, faintly reminiscent of an Ewok Village, we arrived at the bottom of "Pennsylvania's Niagara", a 300 ft. waterfall. Certainly a beautiful sight, but what seemed most impressive to me was the thundering noise that a small river could produce just by falling off a cliff. Water is usually so very quiet.
We trekked through long periods of quiet interrupted occasionally by the seven other waterfalls at various spots along the river. Before today, I thought that nature could be either quiet & peaceful or loud & destructive. But today I realized that peaceful doesn't have to mean quiet. Today was a day filled with beauty, nature, good food and great waterfalls.

2 comments:

  1. That's great; what beautiful falls.

    We've got the Deschutes River falls about 5 minutes from our apartment and I was actually thinking of taking a picnic out there today. I know it would be packed, though, and we don't have any picnic food in the house. We've got peanut butter and, um, salsa. Saddest picnic ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, now I feel like I should try having a peanut butter & salsa picnic just to see what it's like.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts