Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

This Week's Bucket List Additions 8

Wow, I guess this makes two months of bucket list additions.  Dreaming and planning is so important that I think everyone should take some time to dream about their future at least once a week, whether it's adding to your bucket list or thinking about your career aspirations or planning for your family.  And now some more of my dreams for the future:

-Throw a Treasure Map into the Sea.  Difficulty Rating 4 out of 10:
As a child, I once found a bottle in a lake that held a treasure map inside.  I followed the map and ultimately discovered a box with a beautiful gem inside buried right where the map said I would find it.  I'm pretty sure my parents set up the whole thing, but it was a magical adventure and remains a fond memory.  I love sharing adventures with others and spreading joy beyond just my circle of friends.  So before I leave our home here on the beach, I plan to bury some treasure and toss a treasure map into the sea.  I haven't decided what the treasure should be yet, but I think it should reflect my values.

People still search for buried treasure.
Copyright Jeff Howick 2011

-Hike into the Grand Canyon.  Difficulty Rating 7 out of 10:
I spent close to a decade living in Arizona and although I have visited the Grand Canyon, I've never hiked it.  If you've never been, the Grand Canyon is a beautiful, humbling place.  I've stood at the edge and been awed and now I want to explore beyond the edges.  I want to see it from the bottom, the the top and crawl along its cliffs.  I want to walk away with a sense of accomplishment, knowing that I have encountered one of nature's great masterpieces and been changed.

-Taste a Philly Cheesesteak from the place that invented them.  Difficulty Rating 3 out of 10:
The origin story of so many iconic foods has been lost to history.  So when I find somewhere that claims to have invented a famous dish, I'm always drawn to taste their creations.  Pat's King of Steaks in Philadelphia is widely credited for creating the Philly Cheesesteak in the 30's and still serves them up hot and fresh today.  There's almost always a line to get one, but I think that's part of the experience.  Lines give us an opportunity and excuse to talk to strangers.  Every step of my visit to taste the 'original' cheesesteak' sounds exciting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts