Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

This Week's Bucket List Additions 15

-Eat Fish and Chips at a Pub in the United Kingdom.  Difficulty Rating 6 out of 10:
I LOVE FOOD.  I love all kinds of food and I don't understand how others can live in this world, so full of incredible flavor combinations and spices and textures and not become at least a little obsessed with glorious food.  I've talked about my interest in eating food from the places where it was created or perfected before and this is no different.  I want to eventually eat my way around the world, so expect to see more entries like eating Pizza in Napples, Borscht in Russia and curry in India.

Despite establishing the largest empire the world has ever seen, colonizing America, and spreading their language and culture far and wide, British cuisine seems to be virtually non-existent here in the States.  I have never encountered a restaurant that serves 'English Food'.  I'm guessing because most of their food is quite terrible, but I don't know I've never tasted any.  If most of it is terrible, perhaps it's because they spent all of their time perfecting one nearly flawless dish: Fish and Chips.  After perfecting Fish and Chips, perhaps they simply had no need to create anything else.  Whatever the case may be, I can't wait to visit the UK and try some Fish and Chips and also some tea.

Homemade Fish and Chips I Cooked
copyright Jeff Howick 2011


-Catch a Wave on a Surfboard.  Difficulty Rating 5 out of 10:
I love the idea of a thrill ride powered by something as simple as the ocean and the moon.  And surfing seems like a wonderful way to enjoy a day; surrounded by the ocean, learning a new skill and enjoying the simple thrills of life.  Surfing seems easy enough to learn since I've learned how to skate on solid ground an wake-board behind a boat and I can't wait to feel the ocean push me so fast that I get that feeling of butterflies in my stomach.

Entrance to the Beach
Copyright Jeff Howick 2011

-See the Olympics in Person.  Difficulty Rating 7 out of 10:
Who doesn't love the Olympics?  People from every nation putting aside their worries to play and compete at all kinds of games, what a fantastic idea.  Although I wish they were broadcast in a more balanced way, it seems like all I ever get to see are American teams when I watch them from my TV.  I love the home team as much as anyone I suppose, but I also love the rest of the world so much too that I want to see what they're up to and hear their stories of triumph and effort.

I can't wait to see the Olympics with my own eyes, to feel the excitement in the air.  I want to be surrounded by fans of every nation, cheer for the underdogs and marvel at the incredible feats of human accomplishment achieved by peoples from every nation.  I'm almost certain I won't make it to London in 2012, but perhaps I'll make it to Russia in 2014 or Brazil in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts